Followers

Monday, October 22, 2012

My first ever Halloween card!

Our Dutchpapercraft design team had this idea that we should do a Halloween swap: either stuff an envelope with materials related to Halloween, or make a Halloween card.  Swap with another member of the team. 

Now, Halloween is not something I do much with except hand out candies galore when the kids come around.  So my chin nearly hit the top of my craft table when I saw this.  There was a choice to opt out, but  I didn't want to be a party pooper either.  I have orange and purple and black paper, but not gory colors, mostly only colors I use for flower making.  I had a set of Spellbinders bats.  What else?  Money was tight as usual, feeding 30 wildlife plus pets is expensive, so going out to the craft store and purchase a bunch of stuff I don't really care for in the first place was not a choice either.  And then there was sooo much to do with the animals, would I even find the time to think of something? 

A day or so later I remembered that I might have bought a Halloween Cricut cartridge dirt cheap last year, did I?, and I went searching in my storage bag.  Yes, there it was, so I was "in". 

Anyway, I made one card, and it came out so cute that I decided to make an even larger one which is currently my husband's Halloween desk display at work.  But before I handed it to him I took some pictures. 

The card is a twist-up design, and I got the idea from a YouTube video which featured a round card.  Why not adapt it to a rectangular card?  As you can see, it worked like a charm, but I had to reinforce the card stock in the back since the card is quite hefty. 

 This is the closed card.  I cut out the house from the Cricut Happy Halloween cartridge.  The bats are Spellbinders, the door is my own addition.  I used a Cheery Lynn Wittle Wicker die to emboss the pattern, Tim Holtz distress inks to color the door, and added a clear glaze and brads as door nobs. 














The opened card.  Oh, I forgot, the rim is a Martha Stewart border punch "spider webs", the pumpkins are also a MS border punch I got on clearance, the BOO is cut out by hand, the spider and ghost are hand made.  The spider is made from pom poms and pipe cleaners, the ghost is card stock and veil material.  I glitter glued spider webs all over the floor and added the cobble stone path. 








 And here is what hides behind the door:  one of my many baby red squirrels drinking formula... 

Anybody can cry BOO! and put something icky behind that door, but not everybody has baby squirrels to take pictures of...  So there!... 

Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment